Even a small shelf unit like this one can add charm, and be a good way to feature treasured keepsakes.
Here are some tips for how to arrange bookshelves.
- If you have matched sets of books then put them together on the lower shelves, stacked side by side, to create a solid foundation. If you do not have matched sets, then group books of similar size together on the bottom shelf
- On the middle shelves arrange groupings that include accessories and books. The accessories could include a small piece of art on an easel, decorative plates or bowls, candles, statues or other collectibles.
- For added interest make sure each grouping includes a variety of heights. Lay a couple of small books down on their side, next to a tall vase or candle holder. Also try to include a variety of shapes.
- Add color with candles or plants. Include a variety of textures like wood and glass and metal all in one grouping.
- If you have over sized books too tall for the shelf they can be placed flat with other books stacked on top of them.
- All of the books should be brought to the front edge of the shelf for a neat, uniformed look.
- It is usually a good idea to remove the dust jackets and display the books binding.
- Use the top one or two shelves to display art or other accent pieces. This will help create a balanced display.